“As a new parent, understanding your newborn’s sleep patterns can be a challenge. Find out when newborns start to have sleep patterns, how much sleep they need, and how to create a sleep-friendly environment. Get helpful tips on how to establish a healthy sleep routine for your newborn and ensure they get the rest they need to grow and develop. Learn how to recognize and address common sleep issues in newborns, such as sleep training and night waking.”
By enduring many difficulties, you left behind your pregnancy period, which was perhaps a very difficult process for you, and you got your little baby. Now your life will change completely, and you will spend a part of your life with your baby who always wants and needs you. After your baby is born, it can make you very tired and sleep deprived, but you will get used to this pace over time and everything will start to come easier day by day.
Your little one will make you forget all your troubles with a small smile. However, the smile of your sweet little one, unfortunately, does not eliminate the existence of your sleepless nights. Always in your mind “When does the sleeping pattern in newborn babies settle?” Returning the question is normal. In this article, we answered this question for you. Good reading!
Sleep Patterns in Newborn Babies
It is natural for parents who have just stepped into parenthood to want their children to have a sleep schedule in order to adapt to their new life and to take time for themselves. However, we have bad news for you. Although newborn babies sleep about 16-20 hours a day, this sleep is not regular. Sleep is very important for their healthy growth and development. Don’t be afraid of your baby who sleeps briefly but often. Irregular sleep in newborns is very normal.
Reasons Why Newborn Babies Sleep Irregularly
Only a small proportion of newborns are born with a sleep pattern. If you’re not the parent of this little group we’re talking about, it’s natural for your babies’ sleep patterns to tire you out. There are some reasons why little ones who have just opened their eyes to the world cannot have a certain sleep pattern.
- Inability to Distinguish Day and Night
It takes time for your baby, whose comfortable life in the womb is over and trying to adapt to the world, to form the concepts of day and night. If your little one stays awake longer at night, you don’t have to worry.
- Lack of Regular Feeding Times
They need feeding many times throughout the day. This causes them to wake up from their sleep and not have a regular sleep.
- Different Physiological Structures
Newborn babies have a light sleep due to their physiological structure. They may wake up from the slightest sound or sensation that distracts them.
How to Solve Sleep Problem in Newborn Babies?
During this period when you are trying to get used to parenting, the tiredness and insomnia you experience can tire you. In general, you are experiencing the same difficulties that all people who are new parents go through. Your baby is trying to get used to a new life just like you. You have to be understanding and patient with him in this matter. Do not worry. It’s a process and it will get easier for you every day. We have compiled for you the answer to the question of how to ensure a sleep pattern in newborns and what you need to do to solve the sleep problem in newborns as quickly as possible.
- Do not put your baby to sleep by breastfeeding on your lap all the time.
If your little one gets used to sleeping while sucking on your lap, he associates sleep with sucking and after a while he starts not sleeping without sucking. For this reason, our advice to you is if your baby starts to give you signals that indicate that he is sleepy (rubbing his eyes, yawning, stopping sucking, etc.), put him in his crib and try to put him to sleep while he loves you in his crib. Thus, it will reconcile its cradle and sleep, as it should be.
- Try to tire and relax your little one before going to sleep.
Maybe a little massage, maybe a warm shower… there may be activities you need to make it easier for your baby to fall asleep. You should always talk to him and tell him how much you love him. You can read lullabies, you can rub your body. Do not be under the delusion that your little one will not understand you because he is small. Even when you are in your womb and have not opened their eyes to the world, your little one understands and hears you. He really needs you to have a loving communication with him.
- Make sure he doesn’t sleep less than 45 minutes or more than 3 hours.
The healthiest sleep in newborns is between 45 minutes and 3 hours. If your baby sleeps for more than 3 hours, we recommend that you wake your baby up and feed him by making non-exaggerated sounds.
- Make sure he doesn’t stay awake for more than 1 hour.
Babies stay awake for an average of 1 hour in the first weeks. This period increases over time. Just because your little ones stay awake for more than 1 hour during the day doesn’t mean they’ll get more sleep at night. You should not forget that their bodies do not work like ours and you should ensure that they do not stay awake for more than 1 hour.
- Before you go to sleep, make sure you’re gassed and your bottom is clean.
Sleep is very important for your baby’s healthy growth and development. All situations that are likely to disturb them so that they can find their own order are gone. In other words, your little one should not wake up because his bottom is wet or because he is uncomfortable with his gas. Therefore, you should pay attention to these before going to sleep.
When Does the Sleep Pattern Start to Sit in Newborn Babies?
- First of all, 40 days after birth, you and your little baby will have a period of getting used to your new lives. Do not expect your pup to have a regular sleep time during this period. You should feed, burp and change diapers every few hours during the day.
- It is natural for your little pup to cry constantly during this period. You may not be able to understand these cries for a few days and this may scare you, but do not be afraid. After a while, you will decode your baby’s language and you will understand what he wants even from the tone of his crying.
- Usually, after the 6th week, the little ones gradually start to prolong their night sleep. After the 6th week, you will be able to spare more time for yourself and you will notice that your tiredness in the first days begins to disappear.
- For your little one to sleep training, the period when they are 3-6 months is ideal. During this period, they sleep an average of 15 hours a day. You will be more comfortable if you keep your nighttime naps longer and shorten your daytime naps a little bit and make your baby tired during the day and sleep longer at night.
- Before putting your little one to sleep, if you want him to have a healthy and deep sleep, you should make sure that his pajamas do not disturb him.
- As your pup grows, its potential to detect objects in the environment increases. And this can complicate the transition to sleep. You can ease his transition to sleep by eliminating objects that distract him.
- Do not worry about the fact that newborns have a light sleep in the first 4 months and do not fall into a deep sleep. It is not yet possible for them to sleep deeply like us. For this reason, behaviors such as moving while sleeping and blinking from time to time are quite natural. It is very important for the formation of a sleep pattern that you do not interrupt your sleep by holding it in your arms in every activity you see in your little one.
- Another question that bothers parents and directly affects their baby’s sleep pattern is “should I wake up and feed my sleeping child at night?” is the question. Unfortunately, there is no single correct answer to this question. Every baby has a response that varies according to their weight and development. For this reason, when you take your little one for a check-up, you can share your experiences with your pediatrician and get the most accurate answer for your baby.
You are getting ready for a brand new life where your whole life has changed radically. If this life has made you tired, don’t feel guilty because it’s very natural. Especially those who are first-time parents may feel these difficulties much more. This is a process and you will get through this just as you got through the pregnancy period. Do not think that you are alone. There are a lot of new parents who are going through these troubles just like you.
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN – WRITE A COMMENT OR SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
We look forward to hearing from you, and if you like this article, please share it with others.