“Does your baby suffer from gas and discomfort? Find out the common causes of gas in babies and learn how to prevent and relieve gas problems. Get expert advice on how to identify the signs of gas, how to properly burp your baby, and which over-the-counter remedies may be safe and effective for gas relief. Discover simple strategies to help your baby feel comfortable and at ease.”
Giving birth to a baby is an amazing feeling. Parents fantasize about holding their baby in their arms throughout their pregnancy. In these dreams, the baby is always happy and peaceful, and the parents are relaxed and patient.
However, some health problems can disturb babies’ sleep and feeding patterns and make them restless. At the beginning of these problems is gas pain in babies, which is the fearful dream of parents .
The first condition of being a parent is to take care of that little thing in the right way. Correct care requires knowledge, seriousness and effort.
Based on this fact; It is necessary to be able to answer the questions of what is gas pain, why is it and when does gas pass in babies.
What is the Gas Problem?
Gas is released as a result of the activities that take place during the digestion of food in the human body. This gas circulates in the digestive tract, creating a feeling of bloating.
When gas is formed in the stomach, it is expelled by the act of burping, if it has reached the upper parts of the stomach.
The symptoms that occur when the gas formed in the body for any reason cannot be thrown out is called gas problem .
This problem, which can not make sense of the pain even when seen in adults, and takes them to the emergency services of hospitals out of fear, creates great distress and panic in infants.
Causes of Gas Problem in Babies
As mentioned before, gas is formed in the body as a result of digestive activities. However, the following factors can cause excessive gas formation in children, resulting in problems such as abdominal pain and gas pains.
- When the spinal cord bulb, which is a part of the nervous system, is not fully developed in newborn babies, the digestive system cannot work well, resulting in insufficient bowel movements.
- Baby swallowing air frequently while sucking on a pacifier
- Swallowing air due to inability to grasp the breast correctly while feeding with breast milk
- Air swallowing from bottle feeding
- Problems digesting breast milk or formula
- When it comes to supplementary food, lentils, bulgur, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, dry beans, etc. more gas released during digestion of food
- Ailments such as colds, celiac, crohn’s, irritable bowel syndrome
- To cry
You can check out our article on “All About Celiac Disease in Babies“.
Gas Pain Symptoms in Babies
The first condition of coping with a problem is recognizing the problem and its symptoms. As in every problem, crying is the most important symptom a baby will give in gas problem.
However, it is not enough by itself. If your little one cries, pulls their legs up and makes writhing movements, has a noticeable bloating and gurgling sound, or farts or burps with or without an odor, gas is most likely the cause of your baby’s fussiness.
With the effect of gas that accumulates in the body and is difficult to be expelled, babies can have crying spells and stay sleepless for nights.
Sleepless nights start to become frustrating by disrupting the order and peace of both parents and the little ones. The best thing is to try to improve the process instead of wasting time, leaving it to chance, before the nerves are thoroughly worn out, wondering when the gas will end in babies .
When Does Gas Pain in Babies Go?
Gas pain is one of the problems that negatively affect the quality of life of the little ones and disrupt the daily routine of the family. When the gas problem in babies passes, or at least when it starts to decrease, only then will a happy and peaceful atmosphere be created at home.
So when does gas pain in babies end? Most of the time, gas pains in babies start with birth. It usually goes away on its own after
4 to 6 months with the development of the nervous system and better functioning of the digestive system.
If the cause of the pains is not due to the immaturity of the nervous system, but due to nutrition, the answer to the question of when gas pains in babies will pass; It will be “when necessary changes are made in the eating pattern”.
What To Do To Cope With The Gas Problem
We know that gas problem is caused by nutritional habits and developmental characteristics of the baby. So, in order to solve the question of when the gas pains will pass, you must first change these habits.
The following changes will provide a marked improvement.
- If the baby is breastfed, you need to make sure that you are breastfeeding in the correct position. If the baby can’t completely swallow the breast, he will swallow air and every air he swallows will return to him as gas pains.
- If your little one is using formula, the fact that the formula is based on cow’s milk may cause gas problems. In this case, the formula should be changed and goat milk or soy-based product options should be tried with the advice of the doctor .
- The products used for bottle-fed babies should be suitable for the age and month of the baby. Bottle tips with narrower or wider holes than they should be can cause gas pains in babies.
- Bottles used for babies using formula should be specially designed to prevent vacuum and air bubble formation during sucking.
- Whether you feed it with breast milk or formula, the baby must be gassed after the feeding process is finished. In order to burp the baby, you must first hold it in your lap with its face facing your shoulder. You can then ease the gas out of the back by tapping it lightly and upwards with your hand.
- Massaging the abdomen and back area of your little one with circular movements, placing a hot towel on their stomach or back will help them find a suitable place for the gas to travel through the body. Care should be taken to ensure that the hot towel is at a temperature that will not burn the skin.
- Teas made from herbs such as chamomile, fennel, ginger, bay leaves will be good for babies 6 months and older .
A baby can have problems after every feeding unless gas is removed. While daily gas problems can be easily dealt with with a simple method such as cuddling and patting on the back, in some cases, gas pains in babies leave parents helpless.
In these painful periods when the baby cries and writhes day and night, the most curious thing of the parents is the answers to the questions of when does the baby’s gas run out, when does the gas problem in babies go away.
As in every crisis situation, the most important thing to do when faced with this problem is to understand the cause of the problem and take the necessary precautions. Thus, you can manage the process more easily and ensure that both you and your little one get through this period with the least damage.
It’s Your Turn Now – Write a Comment
Did your baby have any gas issues? How did you overcome this period? What advice would you give to other mothers about solving gas problems in babies? We look forward to hearing from you.